Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Salada

2/3/09

            I asked Antonia the word for salty today. I wanted to know because I often use the slang meaning in English, such as, “I think she is a little salty about the fact that she wasn’t invited.” Etc… but I made the mistake of asking the meaning of this word right after we ate our over salted dinner. I think ANOTNIA felt a little salty about the fact that I needed the meaning, so I quickly (and by quickly I mean struggled and acted out many different scenarios while trying to come up with the meaning of ‘slang’) explained to her the meaning in English. (P.S. slang=argot in Spanish). She got the gist and was no longer worried about her seasoning skills (though she should be).

            The first Sunday of every month is a free day for certain Museums in Barcelona so I went with some friends to the Catalan Museum of art this weekend. It was the perfect day because it has been a little damp and dreary ‘round these parts lately. Though today the sun did come out, I was so happy I decided to walk home to enjoy the weather, only to realize I needed to turn right back around as soon as I GOT home in order to go to the intercambio meeting I had forgotten about.

            An intercambio is when a Spanish student and an English student get together to talk and help each other learn the respective languages. There were way more American kids who showed up than Spanish, so we had to group up instead of one on one. Chessie and I got placed with the same person, a woman who is probably late 20’s maybe early 30’s, named Isabel. We were both kind of hoping for someone younger so that we could maybe merge groups and get some more Spanish friends, but oh well. I still might email someone else to get another partner. I think we’re starting next week and we have one on one meetings with her to chat. We spent the entire hour and a half this time speaking in Spanish and I really don’t think this woman can speak English well at all. She only said a few words in English, I think she was a little nervous to try it out cause she said she hasn’t spoken it in ten years. Bettah him than me, more time to practice my Spanish.

            Chessie and I stopped in to visit with Maria again, that girl who works in the store on our street, the one we interviewed for our project. She is a hip hop dancer so we were talking about music. There is so much American music Spain, almost all of it is, but it takes a while to get here so she hasn’t heard of a lot of the newer hip hop songs from the US, so I told her I would put a bunch of my music on my flashdrive so she can put it on her computer and she was pretty excited about that.

            In other news: I booked my trip to Greece! I’m going for Spring break with David in April, I’m really excited, it is one of the places that I have wanted to visit the most. I love looking through my day planner now, my life has never been this exciting. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you. I am planning Christina's first trip to White Pines Ranch. Maybe she will follow in your footsteps Kel, and live in Spain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so happy she's going to White Pines! I had so much fun there. And hopefully she WILL follow in my footsteps, she should be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete